Have you heard about the B&Q Wastage Scheme? It’s called Community Re-use and is without doubt my favourite freebie. And I’ve heard from HUNDREDS of you who have called up and got free things, so is probably my most popular most.
The scheme is in place to donate unsellable products and materials for re-use, for the benefit of the local community and the environment.
Who can get the free B&Q stuff?
If you’re an individual, you’re out of luck, you need to be someone that is going to use the stuff for the good of others.
Eligible groups include:
- Schools and colleges
- Childminders, playgroups and nurseries
- Allotment associations, community gardening projects
- Youth groups including scouts, guides and cadets
- Registered charities
- Conservation groups including The Conservation Volunteers and Forest Schools
- Community projects organised by local churches and other religious groups
- Women’s Institute, Lions Clubs, Rotary, Townswomen Guilds
- Royal British Legion
- Adult education projects, University of the Third Age
- Other local community groups
What can I get?
The items are unsellable, but that doesn’t mean rubbish. No electrical or dangerous product can be donated e.g. broken ladders, faulty chairs or lights. Items you’ll get include wood, paint, tiles, turf etc.
I’ve heard that schools, for example, have been given gardening equipment and Christmas decorations.
Put it this way, it costs B&Q lots of money to keep products around that’s not selling, so it makes sense to give it away rather than throwing out old stock.
How do you apply?
Ask your local store to see if you apply, and if they have any stock (or will do soon). You should then contact head office (0333 014 3098) and ask to be added to the scheme. You’ll then be given products for free that they can’t sell within the store.
There’s no guarantee – but it’s always worth giving your local store a call if you are part of an eligible group.
Let me know how you get on!
Want more freebies?
JOIN MY FREE ‘LUXURY ON A BUDGET‘ FACEBOOK GROUP. It’s where I put the best deals I spot. Come say hi!